A leap of faith Did you leap out of bed this morning full of enthusiasm for a wet, cold parkrun? Well if you did it may be the only chance you got to run a parkrun on February 29th. It has never happened before and won’t happen again until 2048. If you were really sensible you snuggled down under the covers and felt smug , unlike the 127 of us who braved the wettest and windiest Shorne run for ages.
It was truly grim and produced many refusals at the gigantic puddles. Well if you can’t go under it and you can’t go over it you’ve just got to run through it. Wet feet were in abundance right from the start. At least we were running . Spare a thought for the wonderful volunteers stood out in the atrocious weather. You are truly appreciated.
This week's superstars were:
Anya HUGHES • Dal POONIA • Daniel GREEN • David REID • Dawn GRANGER • Ethan HUGHES • Graham GREEN • Graham WRIGHT • Jackie WRIGHT • Jonathan CROWLE • Julie ASPINALL • Ken PHILLIPS • Lesley WRIGHT • Neve DONOVAN • Oliver WARNER • Phil SWEETING • Ria GILBY • Robert Norton SIBLEY • Sarah GILBY • Susan Louise BEECHAM
We welcomed 13 first timers of which 9 were tourists and 4 running their first parkrun. Well those 4, I’ve a feeling you will be back because you turned out on such an awful day. It can only get better. Welcome to the parkrun family.
Well done those 9 super heros who managed a PB today . Awesome in this weather.
We had some milestones too:
Congratulations to Ashley Haywood for 50 parkruns and Judith Armitt for 100 parkruns.
Look forward to seeing you next week when hopefully conditions are slightly more favourable!
Huge thanks to Julie for this week's run report. And so to next week...
parkruns all over the world are hosting a special celebration of female participation on Saturday 7 March, the day before International Women’s Day (IWD).
parkrun are keen to see as many women and girls taking part on this day. Whether you want to walk, jog, run, volunteer or come along and watch absolutely everyone is welcome, so please do consider registering for parkrun and heading down to Shorne Woods parkrun, and bringing a family member, friend or colleague along with you to share in the fun.
We're also looking to get as many people dressed in purple as the chosen colour for IWD, so if you have anything suitable in your walking, running, jogging or volunteering clothing please consider wearing it on Saturday.
For more information about parkrun, to register and find your nearest event please see www.parkrun.org.uk. Those in England can also check out the #IWDparkrun website, which has all the information you might need about this special day.
If you are joining us for the first time, here are a few things to be aware of:
- Firstly if you haven't registered yet, you can do so here, or if you've lost your barcode you can find details of how to retrieve is here
- Whether you're new to parkrun / or it's your first time at Shorne Woods parkrun, firslty welcome, and secondly we have a new runners briefing at 8.55am (there will be an annoucement, but look for the welcome flag).
- Under 11's must be accompanied by an appropriate adult at all times.
- Dogs are allowed, but only one per runner, and they need to be kept on a short lead.
- DFYB! (don't forget your barcode!) no barcode, no result
- We can't scan barcodes on a mobile phone, and the above rule of 'no barcode, no result' also applies here
- Please give consideration to other runners & park users.
- Only once through the finish funnel, go all the way through to the end, stay in order & don't forget to pick up a finish token.
- When you're ready don't forget to have your barcodes scanned, and if for any reason you don't want to be scanned please return the position token (we reuse them each week)
- There are containers around the back of the finish area for you to leave any spare clothes, and you run past these about 100 metres from the start if you don't want to drop them off before you've started
- We go back to the cafe afterwards (found in the visitor centre) for a post parkrun coffee, cake & chat, and we'd love you to join us.
- Oh, and one more thing......enjoy!
If you have any questions not answered above, feel free to drop us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or look out for someone in pink hi-viz on Saturday morning.
If the week between parkrun seems to take forever to pass, as you long for your next hit of parkrunfun (or even if it flies by!) there are a couple of parkrun podcasts available for you to enjoy, with the official parkrun podcast free weekly timed, along with the independent with me now, which for those who listened to the previous parkrun Show, is also brought to you by Nicola & Danny.
Look forward to hopefully seeing you on parkrunday,
Shorne Woods parkrun is on facebook, twitter, Instagram and flickr
Other links, parkrun UK facebook page, parkrun show, UK website, runner support, local running links, local running events