The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in The Quarry, Shrewsbury. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Shrewsbury parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Shrewsbury parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
Situated in the centre of Shrewsbury the Quarry park offers tarmac paths through avenues of trees and along the river Severn.
Good surfaces on the whole course with two inclines , one near the start, which is then repeated at 3km.
After doing a loop around the Quarry, runners head down the river, turnaround at the monument and head back for another loop of the Quarry before a final run back to the monument , then into the finish area.
Toilets are situated near the Shrewsbury horticultural office and by the children's playground.
PARKING: Ample on street (charged) parking is available in the town, with a multistory facility next to the bus station. A large surface (charged) car park is situated 500m from the finish line. On street free parking is available in residential streets to the north-east of the Quarry. The nearest car park to the finish is located at St Julian Friars, SY1 1XL - https://new.shropshire.gov.uk/parking/find-my-nearest-car-park/shrewsbury-st-julians-friars/
Location of startRunner meet at the bandstand in the Quarry and are then walked to the start line located by the river Severn.
Getting there by public transportFROM THE BUS STATION: Come out the bus station and walk down Smithfield Road past the Premier Inn.
FROM THE TRAIN STATION: Walk out of the station up to the traffic lights then follow the signpost for The Quarry, river / Swimming Centre. At the top of the hill the Quarry Park is on your right through the blue gates, the start is along the wall to the left.
Getting there on footNational Cycle route 81. To find a route to the event please visit the Cycle Shrewsbury website  where you can access an interactive route map.
The Quarry is in the centre of Shrewsbury with access from Claremont Bank. It is clearly signposted on the black with gold lettering signs around Shrewsbury.
Getting there by roadShrewsbury connects to the M6 and motorway network via the M54.
The A49, A5, A53, A458 all make Shrewsbury easily accessible.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in Stop coffee shop, 3 St Julian's Crescent, Shrewsbury SY1 1UD - please come and join us!