The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Sloughbottom Park, Norwich. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Sloughbottom parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Sloughbottom parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
A one lap course on a mixture of asphalt paths and grassland which starts at the pavilion in Sloughbottom Park and goes out along Marriott’s Way with a loop of Anderson’s Meadow. Along Marriott’s Way runners will travel in opposite directions, so please keep right at all times to avoid collisions. Parts of the course are near to open water. It is therefore essential that children under the age of 11 are kept within arm’s reach of a responsible adult. Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event due to narrowness of paths.
There are toilets at the pavilion in Sloughbottom Park. Sloughbottom Park also has a children’s play area, football pitches and a BMX track.
Location of start
The event starts at the pavilion in Sloughbottom Park.
Getting there by public transport
Bus: The First Bus Yellow Line, numbers 28, 29 and X29, between Norwich and Fakenham stops on Drayton Road, close to Sloughbottom Park. Buses run every 15 minutes from Norwich bus station and stop CB on Castle Meadow. Please visit this website for more infomation https://www.firstgroup.com/norfolk-suffolk/routes-and-maps/network-norwich.
Train: The nearest train station is Norwich station, approximately 45-50 minutes walk from the park.
Getting there on foot
If travelling on foot or bicycle, use Marriott’s Way to get to the park.
From Norwich railway station: cross Riverside Road, go over the bridge and up Prince of Wales Road. Buses can be caught from stop CB on Castle Meadow. Alternatively, turn right onto Bank Plain. Follow the road along, turn right at St Andrew’s Hall onto St George’s Street and continue over the bridge. Turn left onto Colegate, cross Duke Street and continue straight on, turning right onto Oak Street. Where Oak Street meets St Crispins Road, turn left, then use the pedestrian crossing and continue towards the Barn Road roundabout. Just over the bridge, turn right onto Marriott’s Way. You will pass under a bridge by Anderson’s Meadow. Approximately half a mile after this bridge, take the right-hand path into Sloughbottom Park.
If travelling towards Norwich on Marriott’s Way, continue approximately half a mile after the Sweetbriar Road bridge, then take the left-hand path into Sloughbottom Park.
Getting there by road
We are close to the centre of Norwich and just off the Drayton Road (A1067). If using SatNav, the postcode for the park is NR3 2BE. The park’s car park is just off Drayton Road with access via a narrow, single-track lane. It has limited space and is busy at weekends and we would like to encourage people to walk/cycle to the event, use public transport, or where possible car share. Please park with consideration for other park users, local residents and businesses.
From Norwich city centre, follow the A1067 Drayton Road towards Fakenham. After the Mile Cross roundabout, take the third turning on the left to reach the park.
From the A140, Norwich ring road, at the crossroads next to the Asda supermarket, take the ‘City Centre A1067’ turning onto the A1067 Drayton Road. The park is the first turning on the right.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at Sloughbottom pavilion - please come and join us!