All 5k events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here.
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Soham Village College, Soham. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Soham Village College parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Due to being on the school grounds, unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Soham Village College parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThree and a bit laps on a mixture of grass and tarmac around the college campus and sports field. The start and finish are outside Ross Peers Sports Centre. Due to being on the school grounds, unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
Toilets are available from 8am at Ross Peers Sports Centre.
Location of startThe event starts outside Ross Peers Sports Centre.
Getting there by public transport
Bus: The Number 12 Stagecoach bus service stops on Soham High Street near Brook Dam Lane.
Train: The nearest train station is Ely.
Getting there on footFrom Soham High Street, by the war memorial, walk down Clay Street, past Asda and the library until you reach College Road. Turn left into College Road and follow the signs through the college car park to Ross Peers Sports Centre.
Getting there by roadFrom the south: Follow the A142 towards Soham. At the roundabout take the 2nd exit into Soham, Soham Village College is signposted on the left hand side.
From the north: Follow the A142 to Soham. At the roundabout take the 2nd exit into Soham. Soham Village College is sign posted on the right hand side.
Limited parking is available at Soham Village College car park, CB7 5AA. Please do not use the sports centre car park. Other car parks are available on Fountain Lane CB7 5ED and Clay Street CB7 5RL