The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Somerdale Pavilion, Keynsham. The course is run on a mixture of trail paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Somerdale Pavilion parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. The course is very bumpy so please consider if this course is suitable for your child and buggy. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Somerdale Pavilion parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course is two anti-clockwise laps of the Shamcross cyclocross course with a short out-and-back section to be completed on each lap. The start is on the right-hand (east) side of the Somerdale Pavillion, just past the first-team football pitch. Trail shoes would be advised following inclement weather as the fields are on a flood plain. Please take care when crossing the field from the lower car park to the start, as the Somerdale sports field may be being used for golf and/or football. Please keep off marked pitches where possible and follow the signs to the start as this has been requested by the landowner.Important note:
As some of this course is on private land, whilst it can be enjoyed with us every Saturday morning at parkrun, please note that freedom runs are not permitted.
The course is very bumpy so please consider if this course is suitable for your child and buggy.Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
A café and toilets are available in the Somerdale Pavilion, toilets are accessible from 8:30am on a Saturday.
Location of start
The event starts on the right-hand (east) side of the Somerdale Pavillion, just past the first-team football pitch.
Getting there by public transport
Bus: The nearest Bus stop is at Keynsham station and is served by services 17, 19A, 432 and 684. From Keynsham station cross at the lights and follow Somerdale Road past the factory until you find the Somerdale Pavilion.
Train: The nearest train station is Keynsham.
Getting there on foot
From Keynsham station cross at the lights and follow Somerdale Road to the end until you find the Somerdale Pavilion.
Getting there by road
The nearest postcode for Sat Navs is BS31 2FF.
From Keynsham follow signs for the station and Bitton A4175, turn left just before the station at the traffic lights onto Somerdale Road and then drive down past the factory.
From Bitton (North) follow signs for the station and Bitton A4175, turn right just after the station at the traffic lights onto Somerdale Road and then drive down past the factory.
If driving, please travel down the main Somerdale Road past the factory and down into the lower car park at the bottom of Trajectus Way. Pay and Display parking is available at £0.60 per hour. At the time of writing, an annual Somerdale Pavilion membership can also be obtained for £25 (which includes a parking permit for one car).
An alternative pay and display car park can be found directly by the pavilion but it would be preferable if the lower car park could be filled first to allow space for other users of the pavilion.
Free parking is available opposite the Keynsham train station at the foot of the hill on Keynsham Road in the overflow car park, however please allow further time to walk to the start of the parkrun if you choose to use this.
We kindly ask that participants do not park on the Somerdale Estate as it will lead to complaints from local residents.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Somerdale Pavilion café - please come and join us!