All 5k events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here.
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Marsh Farm Country Park, South Woodham Ferrers. The course is run on a mixture of concrete paths, trail paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The South Woodham Ferrers parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that South Woodham Ferrers parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionStarting at the car park near the river, follow the perimeter in an anti-clockwise direction to join the sea wall with the river on your right. Follow this, past the yacht club and when indicated, turn left towards the rear of Marsh Farm and follow this track until the concrete path at which point turn right. This takes you away from Marsh Farm. As you reach the end of the concrete path it naturally takes you up a small slope onto an elevated path turning left. Follow this until you reach a marshal at which point you head left, and then up a slope leading back to the marshal. At this junction turn left again, taking the top path until the next marshal where you will be directed to the lower path. Follow this along, and then at the U-turn side head back in the opposite direction, upon reaching the marshal take the lower path and follow this back to the end of the concrete path once more and this time immediately turn left down a grassy path which heads towards the main river. Follow this path until you see a marshal which will take you up the slope turning right back onto the sea wall with the river on your left. This leads all the way back to the starting car park where you will see the finish funnel.
Toilets and cafe are provided at Marsh Farm Animal Adventure Park.
Location of startThe event starts at the car park near the river.
Getting there by public transportBy Bus - there is a bus stop on Inchbonnie Road which is a short 2 minute walk to Marsh Farm Road and the park entrance. Buses from all over the local area pass through (Basildon / Wickford / Chelmsford), see bus routes 94C and 36.
By train - South Woodham Ferrers train station is on the Wickford / Southminster line. If you’re coming from London or Southend change at Wickford and South Woodham Ferrers is an 8 min ride. Marsh Farm Country Park is then just over a mile from the South Woodham Ferrers train station.
Getting there on footMarsh Farm Road comes off Inchbonnie Road which is one of the main roads in South Woodham Ferrers.
Getting there by roadSat Nav use postcode CM3 5WP.
Marsh Farm Country Park is a 30 min drive from the M25 exit A12 with many major roads including the A127, A130 and A1245 which all lead towards South Woodham Ferrers.
Parking is available at Marsh Farm Animal Adventure Park, Marsh Farm Road, South Woodham Ferrers, Essex, CM3 5WP.