We won't be having a parkrun on Christmas Day, but there will be a New Year's Day parkrun at 10:30am.
Here's a film, directions and map to show you the route:
• Start at the basketball court next to children's play area
• Run straight along the central path with the hedgerow on your left
1. After approximately 400 metres turn left at the crossroads and then take the right fork to remain on the raised path above the lake (the causeway). The lake will be on your left hand side.
2. Turn left at the end of this path to join the lake and run once around the lake keeping the lake on your left
3. Exit the lake up the slope and turn right at the junction to run back past the start, continuing past the basketball court along the central path with the hedgerow on your right
4. At the end of the path by the museum carpark turn left
5. When reaching the line of trees on your left, turn left to run along the rear of the tree line and continue in a straight line
6. There will be a very minor deviation as you reach the play park to avoid disruption to other park users
7. Continue straight and, at the end of the last football pitch on your left turn left to rejoin the path and continue on the raised path behind the lake as per lap 1
8. Complete a second lap of the lake exiting up the hill and back along the central path
• Finish near to the museum car park.
We are getting to the end of our trial routes with another different one for this week (17th March 2018). We are doing these trials to future proof against our continuing growth and the congestion that this can cause on the narrow section of the lake when overtaking is in full swing in the mid part of the run. We had lots of positive feedback about the trial route last week although the grass took a bit of a hammering near the cafe.
This week we will stay on the tarmac the whole way except for the last 100 metres to the finish.
Start at the usual starting point, head along the path and down to the lake as usual. Complete one lap of the lake in the usual anti clockwise direction. After completing the first lap exit the lake and head up the Causeway on the right hand side towards King Harry Lane. At the top of the causeway, complete a U turn around the bollard (and Marshall!) and head back down, again staying in your right. At the bottom of the hill you will be directed right towards Westminster Lodge and then very soon back towards the lake. You will then join the bottom section of the Causeway running behind the toilets towards the Fighting Cock and will rejoin the lake. Complete a second and final lap of the lake exiting in the usual way back towards the start. Run behind the start and up the far path towards the tree line and you will see the finish.
Remember ..... it might be a long uphill towards King Harry Lane but .... what goes up also comes down!!
Please, as ever, give us your feedback after this trial. We will soon be in a position to make a decision about whether there is a more suitable route or whether we stay as we have been and accept the congestion.
Enjoy the change of scenery and remember .... pedestrians on the Causeway will not be expecting us so please be considerate as they have as much right to be there as us.
ANNOUNCEMENT: The highly trained St Albans parkrun canine course inspectors have been out this afternoon and have pronounced that, subject to an 8am inspection, we will be going ahead 3/3/18. We'll be on the off-road course, which starts in the normal place. Bring trail shoes if you have them. It's at your own risk of course, and BE CAREFUL, but the hounds tell us that it's more snowy than icy at present.
We hope you all enjoyed the loop around Seabrook Meadow last Saturday (who knew that area of the park had a name?!) and if you didn’t, don’t worry, it’s not included in this weeks course! As a reminder, we are spending a few weeks trialling possible new routes to see if there is anything better suited to our ever increasing numbers - nothing is decided yet!
Please see the map for the course we will be running this weekend. Please note this weeks start position is on the path that leads to the hypocaust. We will have marshals to direct you to the new start point and both the new runners and main briefings will take place at this start area. It is 3 anti-clockwise large laps, that take you on the grass round the edge of the Inn On The Park garden and back to the main path. On your 3rd time through the hedgeline, you will turn right to finish in the usual place.
Things to note this week:
- It is a different start location, but if you go to the usual place, there will be people to direct you. Please be there in time for the briefings (volunteers, meet by the bench at 8:30 as usual, thank you)
- Please keep left as much as possible throughout the run to allow safe passing (as normal)
- Take care when rejoining the main path by the tennis courts as there may be other park users on the path. Please listen to the marshal(s) instructions, and slow down if necessary
- At the end of your third lap, the right turn onto the main path towards the finish is quite sharp
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday!
DISCLAIMER: This is all weather dependent. We will inspect the course on Saturday morning and if the paths are not safe due to the weather, we will be doing our offroad course!
9am Saturday 23 December
9am Saturday 30th December
10:30am Monday 1st January aka New Year's Day
9am Saturday 6th January
9am Saturday 24 December aka Christmas Eve
9am Saturday 31st December aka New Year's Eve
10:30am Sunday 1st January aka New Year's Day...
This coming New Year we are teaming up with Ellenbrook parkrun, Hatfield.
Ellenbrook will have their parkrun at 0900 Hrs and St Albans will be starting at 10.30 Hrs. You are welcome to come and do either of these are both if you feel up to it.
There will also be a parkrun as normal on New Year's Eve starting at 9am.
Running is Magic!
St Albans parkrun turns 4 on Saturday 16th January! So please come to our birthday party on Saturday the 16th January - usual time and place. There will be cake, of course, and the first annual award ceremony (not just for the faster runners). See you there?
Holiday parkrun timetable:
Boxing Day: 9:30am
New Year's Day: 10:30am
2 January: 9am
(Volunteers welcome for all dates!)
Ho ho ho.