The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in Mineralwell Park, Stonehaven. The course is run on a mixture of hard-packed gravel paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Stonehaven parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with one dog by your side, within reach at all times, on a short, handheld, non-extendable lead. Please also see this Support Site entry for further details about parkrunning with dogs.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Stonehaven parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course of Stonehaven parkrun features 3 anti-clockwise laps of Mineralwell Park plus a bit extra at the beginning:
The start is in the centre of the park and you run due south to join the path at the perimeter of the park heading towards the park’s main entrance. Turn left onto the grass and follow the hedge all the way along, past the finish. This is the start of lap 1: head towards the pavilion, turn left and follow the fence alongside the football pitch. A right turn takes you past the football pitch and the all-weather pitch and then a left turn takes you onto the footpath that leads around the park perimeter. Heading up and over the hill, turn right and climb steeply uphill to the park’s entrance at Baird Terrace before a hairpin turn back down the hill on a parallel path. Follow the path round the perimeter and down the short, steep hill back towards the park’s main entrance again and turn left to follow the hedge towards the finish. Laps two and three are the same as lap one. At the end of Lap three run into the finish funnel.
Toilets are available within the pavilion.
Car parking is free of charge. There is a small children's play area within Mineralwell Park.
Location of startThe start is in the centre of Mineralwell Park.
Getting there by public transportThe nearest bus stops are on the B979 just outside Mineralwell Park at Cowie Bridge. All Aberdeen-Stonehaven buses will stop here including the X7 coastrider.
Train: The nearest train station is Stonehaven approximately 1 mile away.
Getting there on footThe start is near to the pavilion in Mineralwell Park.
From train station: Follow the road out to the main road, turn left down Arduthie Road, then left down Westfield Road. Go straight over the junction and down Bath Street and then turn left onto Baird Terrace. Take the footpath into the park from the corner of Baird Terrace.
From bus stop on B979 at Cowie Bridge: Walk towards the town centre and turn right immediately after Cowie Bridge before Belmont Brae. Follow this minor road into the park.
Getting there by roadIf using sat nav, the nearest postcode is AB39 3XY for the park.
From A90 (South): Leave the A90 at the Netherley junction. Follow the road down the hill into Stonehaven and turn right at the mini roundabout. Mineralwall Park is on the right after you have crossed the river.
From the A90 (North): Leave the A90 at the first Stonehaven exit and follow the road down the hill into Stonehaven. Go straight on at the mini roundabout and Mineralwall Park is on the right after you have crossed the river.
Parking: There is some parking within the park behind the pavilion. Please take care as the access road in and out of Mineralwell Park is narrow. There is further parking available at the Stonehaven Leisure Centre, a short walk or jog away.