All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at the Recreation Ground, Stratford upon Avon. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Stratford-upon-Avon parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Stratford-upon-Avon parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course is three laps, and starts and finishes close to the football pavilion near the car park and the children's play area. The course heads in a clockwise direction around the Recreation Ground including a section along the Avon opposite the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. At the end of the third lap, the finish is on the grass next to the path. The course is mainly on tarmac paths so ordinary road shoes are the best choice; in extreme conditions wearing trail shoes may be useful.
FacilitiesCar parking close to start/finish @ £1 /hour (discount for regulars, free for volunteers), kit storage, refreshments, toilets, children's play area. We recommend 2h / £2 parking to be able to run and enjoy post run refreshments.
Location of startThe run starts, and finishes, close to the football pavilion near the car park and the children's play area.
Getting there by public transport
Train: The nearest railway station is Stratford upon Avon. From Stratford upon Avon railway station, walk in to town along the Bridge Street (A422) just before Clopton Bridge (Bridge Foot A3400) there is a footbridge across the river on the right hand side which gives access to the recreation ground and car park. 22 mins. See the National Rail Website for train times to and from Stratford Upon Avon.
Bus: It is a 10 minute walk from the Bridge Street bus stop at McDonalds. Cross the Waterside road and take the footbridge on the right hand side over the river which gives access to the Recreation ground / car park. For bus timetables see the Network West Midlands website.
Getting there on footFrom Clopton Bridge (Bridge Foot), walk along the Recreation Ground car park to the pavilion. The Recreation Ground can also be accessed from the Stratford Tramway.
Getting there by roadThe Recreation Ground car park can be accessed at the entrance to the Swan's Nest Hotel, post code CV37 7LS. From the M40 J15, take the A46 towards Stratford upon Avon. At the next roundabout take the A3400 towards the town centre / Shipston, cross over the River Avon at Clopton Bridge (Bridge Foot) and you will see the Swan's Nest Hotel on the right. However, there is no right turn here so proceed ahead to the roundabout, turn back towards the town centre from where you have approached and turn left at the Swan’s Nest Hotel and 500m into the car park next to the football pavilion.
From Banbury follow the A422 towards Stratford upon Avon, and before Clopton Bridge (Bridge Foot) turn left at the Swan’s Nest Hotel and 500m into the car park next to the football pavilion.
Once in the car park, please do not attempt to park in the coned off area on the right hand side; follow the road towards the very end of the car park close to the Pavilion, the parkrun start and finish is much closer to the far end of the car park (see map).
NOTE: car parking charges are £1 per hour with discount available for regular runners and free parking permits available for volunteers. Allow 2h / £2 to run and enjoy a leisurely coffee with us afterwards.