The course is at The Recreation Ground, Stratford-upon-Avon. The course is 2000m (2K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Marshals will be located along the course.
The course will be marshalled so that juniors will be in sight of a marshal at all times.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. Please give way to other park users. This won't slow you down and will help ensure the overall success of the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
junior parkrun rules and guidelines
Stratford-upon-Avon Rec junior parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. To make the event as safe as possible, participants, spectators and volunteers are asked to take note of the following rules and guidelines:
- Whilst parkrun fully accepts its duty of care and will do everything it can to minimise risk of injury and harm to all participants whilst at parkrun events, it is parent/guardians who ultimately have responsibility for the welfare of their children.
- It is not mandatory for a parent/guardian to participate in junior parkruns, but children under the age of 11 must be accompanied to/from the event by a responsible adult, and the responsible adult must remain in attendance for the duration of the event.
- Junior events are open and inclusive. Disabled people may participate wherever it is safe for them to do so. The event team can provide disabled participants with course information in order that the participant (or their parent/guardian) can make an informed decision about their safe participation.
- Whilst more competitive children can use junior parkruns to test themselves against their own time, and against others, participation should ultimately be for fun, and we urge all parents/guardians/volunteers not to put children under undue pressure to perform.
- Participants should be able to complete (run, jog, walk) 2km. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- junior parkruns are running, jogging and walking events, and the use of children’s scooters, balance bikes, trikes or cycles is prohibited.
- Slower runners are encouraged to seed themselves, by starting towards the back of the group especially if an adult is accompanying them.
- junior parkruns are timed events. Only those aged between 4 to 14 years old completing the course themselves will be given a result. Due to COVID-19 restrictions only those aged 4 to 10 years old may take part until further notice.
- Exceptions to this rule are subject to the discretion of the Event and/or Run Director. Examples include those over 14 with special educational needs (SEN) or those with a registered disability, for whom social interaction and physical activity may be difficult but important.
- A strict ‘no barcode no result’ policy will be enforced.
- Buggies are allowed, subject to course conditions, but only if the adult pushing the buggy is accompanying a junior runner. Adults with buggies are urged to position themselves appropriately for the safety and enjoyment of all.
- Dogs or other pets are not allowed to take part in junior parkruns.
- When running, take care should be taken on uneven surfaces and participants should watch out for other park users, animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, trees, posts and other obstacles around the course. All parkrunners should be considerate to the park and all other park users at all times.
- Spectators should keep clear of participants on the course and keep control of any children and dogs.
- Participants should take care near roads and car parks, congregate away from the cars and be careful if driving to/from the event.
- Photography or filming is likely to take place at junior parkrun events. Please see our photos page for more details.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
Please consider helping the event by volunteering - this event survives only because of your generosity. Please visit the volunteer page for more information.
Course descriptionThe course is three laps on grass and tarmac paths. It starts and finishes close to the football pavilion near the car park and the children's play area. The course heads in a clockwise direction around the Recreation Ground.
FacilitiesToilets are available adjacent to the children’s play area, within the main car park, close to the football pavilion.
Location of startThe event starts close to the football pavilion near the car park and the children's play area.
Getting there by public transportNo public transport gets to Stratford-upon-Avon in time for junior parkrun.
Getting there on footFrom the Tramway Footbridge, walk along the Recreation Ground car park to the pavilion. The Recreation Ground can also be accessed from the Stratford Tramway.
Getting there by roadThe Recreation Ground car park can be accessed at the entrance to the Swan's Nest Hotel, postcode CV37 7LS.
From the M40 J15, take the A46 towards Stratford-upon-Avon. At the next roundabout take the A3400 towards the town centre / Shipston, cross over the River Avon at Clopton Bridge (Bridge Foot) and you will see the Swan's Nest Hotel on the right. However, there is no right turn here so proceed ahead to the roundabout, turn back towards the town centre from where you have approached and turn left at the Swan’s Nest Hotel and carry on for 500m into the car park next to the football pavilion.
From Banbury follow the A422 towards Stratford-upon-Avon, and before Clopton Bridge (Bridge Foot) turn left at the Swan’s Nest Hotel and carry on for 500m into the car park next to the football pavilion.
Once in the car park, follow the road towards the very end of the car park close to the Pavilion, the junior parkrun start and finish is much closer to the far end of the car park (see map). Car parking is £1.20/hr. Volunteers have free parking.