The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at The Nicholas Hamond Academy Sports Fields, Swaffham. The course is run entirely on grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Swaffham parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Swaffham parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course starts just inside the school field gate adjacent to the junior school. The run is a flat three-lap course on a grass playing field. From the start keeping left of the row of trees you complete one lap of the small field and then go through a gap in the trees to the far end of the larger field, turn left at the first corner, left at the second corner, left at the third corner heading for two trees. Go between the two trees and turn left again heading back up the field. Do an about turn and head back down the field and run around the small field. This is one lap. All points will be marked. The finishing section will be marked with the finish at the same point as the start. Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event due to it being a school field.
There are no toilets available. There is plenty of free parking at the venue. There is disabled access to the course although the grass surface may not be suitable for wheelchairs.
Location of startThe event starts just inside the school field gate adjacent to the junior school.
Getting there by public transportThere is limited public transport but the X1 operated by Excel, comes to Swaffham from both King’s Lynn and Norwich. It is a good 15 minute walk from the bus stop at the Market Place to the school where the parkrun event is held. You can find timetables by going to www.firstgroup.com/norfolk-suffolk/routes-and-maps/excel-norwich-dereham-swaffham-kings-lynn-wisbech-peterborough
Local bus services are run by Konect and timetables can be found by going to www.konectbus.co.uk/timetables-fares
You can also find additional bus travel information by going to www.norfolk.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/public-transport/buses/bus-timetables-and-operators
Getting there on footThe town centre is approximately 800m away or a 15 min walk. There are a number of routes from residential areas that lead onto the main A1065 (Brandon Road).
Getting there by roadIf using SATNAV, the nearest postcode is PE37 7DZ.
From Norwich (A47), leave the A47 at the junction signposted The Green Britain Centre (A1065) onto Station Road and follow until you reach the town centre and market place. Follow the signs for Thetford along London Street, which becomes Brandon Rd. You will see the school on your right. To enter the car park use the second entrance.
From King’s Lynn (A47) leave the A47 at the junction signposted Swaffham. Join the Lynn Rd which becomes Lynn Street into Swaffham. When you reach the Market Place, turn right with the market to your left, then join London Street, which becomes Brandon Rd. You will see the school on your right. To enter the car park use the second entrance.
From Thetford following the A1065 (Brandon Road) into the outskirts of Swaffham, you each the town sign and 30mph speed limit. Just ahead is a mini roundabout, go straight over. You start to come into a built up area. There is a pelican crossing a few metres before the school and the entrance is just ahead on your left.
There is ample parking at the Nicholas Hamond school car park shared with the leisure centre.