[parkrun_if_event] All 5k events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here. [/parkrun_if_event] [parkrun_if_country] Events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here. [/parkrun_if_country]
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in Abbey Meadows, Thetford. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Thetford parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners. See the Course Description for additional specific notes.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Thetford parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
The course is a 5km course around Abbey Meadows, consisting of both pathways & grass. There are 3 restrictions on the course to prevent motor bikes. Please go through these barriers in single file. A portion of the course runs alongside the river which has no fence. When running/walking over the bridge, please keep to the left hand side.
There are 2 points to consider if you bring a pushchair/running buggy:
- The grass may be hard to push a pushchair/running buggy.
- The 3 restrictions on the course to prevent motor bikes (69cm, 79cm and 100cm) may be a problem for some buggies. They are easily passable for 1 runner at a time, and a single pushchair/running buggy should be OK, but please check the width of your buggy.
- Parking: Iceland Car Park is the closest and free of charge. Come out of the car park & turn left to main road & you will see a sign for the Priory. Go through underpass, then turn left & the Priory is on the right.
- Attractions close by are: Thetford Priory, Ancient House Museum of Thetford Life, Charles Burrell Museum, Dads Army Museum, B.T.O. Nature Reserves, Thetford Forest, High Lodge Activity Centre & Eleveden Centre Parcs.
Location of start
The run starts at Priory Car Park, IP24 1BB.
Please note that parking at the Priory is for volunteers/disabled. See Facilities for general parking details
Getting there by public transport
Train: The nearest train station is Thetford Train Station.
Bus: Thetford Bus Station is a short walk from the Priory. See foot directions.
Getting there on foot
Market Sq. to Priory: From Market Sq., cross the road towards the Post Office. Carry along through town centre to King's St. At the traffic lights go straight over towards Minstergate. At the end of Minstergate, go through the underpass, then left towards the Priory Car Park
Thetford Bus Station to Priory: From bus station head towards Captain Mainwaring statue to Bridge St. Turn right onto Bridge St., over bridge towards Barclays Bank. Turn Left at Lawsons Estate Agents towards Minstergate. At the end of Minstergate looking at the main road you will see a sign pointing the direction of the Priory which will take you through an underpass. Once through the underpass turn left to the Priory Car Park.
Thetford Train Station to Priory: From the station, turn left onto Station Rd., then right onto Millers Lane, then left onto St. Nicholas St., then right onto Water Lane. At the end of the lane you will come to the Priory Car Park.
Getting there by road
Bury St. Edmunds to Iceland Car Park: A134 towards Thetford. As you enter Thetford, continue along road to traffic lights. At the lights turn right onto London Road. At the next traffic lights turn right onto St. Nicholas St. Follow this road onto Minstergate & at the end of Minstergate, the car park is on the left.
Watton to Iceland Car Park: A1075 to Thetford. At the A1075/A11 roundabout straight over. Straight over the mini roundabout & at next roundabout straight over onto Norwich Rd. Straight over mini roundabout & at 2nd traffic lights turn left onto St. Nicholas St. Follow road round onto Minstergate & at the end of the road, the car park is on the left.
Diss to Iceland Car Park: A1066 to Thetford. At the roundabout turn right to continue on the A1066. At the next roundabout, turn left onto Norwich Rd. Continue along Norwich Rd. to the 2nd traffic lights. Turn left onto St. Nicholas St. Follow road onto Minstergate & at the end of Minstergate, the car park will be on your left.