By Jessica Robson
Photos by Emma Hood
That was a sunny and bright Saturday parkrun to welcome an equally sunny Run Talk Run crew. The Run Talk Runners from the weekly Tooting meets came out in full force to provide volunteers and pacers for the 751 runners who turned up for their 5km start to the weekend.
Run Talk Run Tooting meet on Monday nights from 7pm at the Wheatsheaf Pub in Tooting Bec before going on a 5k run in the local area at around 7:30. The group ranges from people that have just finished couch to 5km to those that are running sub 3 hour marathons. The group also offers a safe space in which people can feel comfortable to talk about their mental health. It’s about being able to create that outlet if you need it, whether it's work issues, family life or the fact that sometimes London can be a very isolating place. It’s also about lending an ear and offering avenues of support if things are getting too tough.
The Run Talk Run crew, who focus on providing support & connection to their runners, were well placed to support the incredible runners who came away with some outstanding achievements this week, with a whopping 113 people achieving a PB!
Other notable achievements made this week
• Our junior stars this week are Joshua Aynsley, Yousof Daryabi, Caleb Monk and Freddie Raistrick-Scott, all of whom recorded new best times
• Regular Tooting volunteer April Marretta Lord shaved 5 seconds off her previous course record to set a new PB of 25:26.
• Jamie Morrison, Jodie Bellamy and Michael Farrance smashed the 20, 25 and 30 minute barriers today by recording times of 19:49, 24:56 and 29:30 respectively
• Today's most experienced parkrunner Ian Shorthouse of Crystal Palace Fun Runners (with 405 parkruns to his name) took almost a minute off the time he set with us in April to finish in 24:19
• parkrun tourist Jessica Buttigieg paid us a return visit today and chopped a highly impressive 6 minutes and 16 seconds off her time from March, crossing the line in 25:53. Welcome back, Jessica!
Milestone shout-outs are due to Devon Buchanan, Simon Ottner and Matty Tong, all of whom ran their 50th parkrun today, and to Harry Lamb, who ran his 10th parkrun as a junior runner today.
There were a whopping 109 Tooting first timers this weekend, 42 of whom were brand new to parkrun. If the welcoming disposition of Run Talk Runners wasn't enough to make sure the runners make a return next week, then their baked goods definitely might be enough to swing it!
Morgan Mitchell (SM20-24) of Fife AC was first over the line in 16:34 in his first appearance at Tooting Common parkrun.
Luke Pikett (VM35-39) of Clapham Chasers RC was second over the line in 16:40.
An unknown runner was third over the line.
And as for the Women...
Alice Sinclair (SW30-34) was first over the line in a new PB of 19:31.
Helen Oldfield (VW50-54) of Herne Hill Harriers was second over the line in a new PB of 20:50.
Naomi Boyer (SW25-29) was third over the line in 21:02 in her first appearance at Tooting Common parkrun
Serious kudos and thank yous to the brilliant Run Talk Run volunteers who made it possible:
Bob HARRISON • Henry BROWN • Joshua PEWTER • Kathryn EVANS • Mark SHOTTON • Sapphire ROSTRON • Pippa WHITE • Harriet WHITE • Emma HAINSWORTH • Richard BOGLE • Imogen THOMAS • Nicola YOUNG • Sarah DUCKWORTH • Andrew COE • Cecilia BOGLE • Tahir SHAMS • David WHITE • Kate NICOLSON • Melissa SHEPHERD • Annabel HOWARD • Lisa PHAN • Foyez SYED • Nick EFSTATHIOU • Charlotte SUTHERLAND • Jessica ROBSON • Nicholas PILKINGTON • Dana ELFRING • Simon GALLACHER • Emma MURLEY • Isabel TORRES PÉREZ • Talat SHAMS • Marcus HUGHES • Genevieve FARRELL • Bayley CHAINEY • Aida ALVAREZ SUAREZ • Jessica GRAU • Tiago ALMEIDA • Francesca WOOD • Lisa BIRD • Emma HOOD • Emma KETTERINGHAM • Janis H CHAN • Cassie HILL