Once again we had glorious weather for another awesome parkrunday event #231 at Thornes Park in Wakefield. We had an amazing atmosphere, due in no small part to Sarah Powala who arrived not only with her Green Army, but also brought along Richard Stead, yes thee Richard Stead of BBC Radio Leeds – The Richard Stead Breakfast Show (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p024nj7g). Richard opened our pre-brief, which you can hear on his Breakfast Show on Monday morning 27th May 2019, commencing at 07:00, or failing that you can hear him on catch-up. He provided details about Sarah and her Green Army who are once again running 10k a Day in May to fundraise for Wakefield Hospice, and he actually joined them on the parkrun and after. His introduction was very entertaining and well worth a listen. Our wonderful participants, volunteers and spectators provided fantastic support to encourage all 329 participants to run jog or walk across the finish line, or waddle and sweat in the case of Richard Stead. We had an incredible 39 first timers, 20 of whom were taking part in their very first parkrun, well done one and all, and please come back soon. A fantastic 68 participants recorded a shiny new Personal Best (PB) and representatives from 24 different clubs took part, as well as tourists from Kingstown Jamaica, Nottingham and Steve Penny from Strathclyde parkrun, Glasgow.
We had a fantastic response for volunteers this week, so massive thanks to all who volunteered, you did an awesome job and we had lots of comments from our participants to say how appreciated you all are.
Massive milestone congratulation shout out this week went to Caroline Shelton on her 100th volunteer for parkrun, thank you so much Caroline for your awesome volunteering. We also gave birthday shouts to Grace and Martha who both turned 8 at the weekend. Many Happy Returns to you both.
Our first finisher, with a shiny new PB, was Dave THOMSON (18:03), followed by Stewart KNOWLES (18:06) and an UNKOWN #DFYB
First female finisher was Sarah BOSTWICK (21:24), followed by Rosie BOUGHTON (22:14), and Shirley JONES (23:50).
Our highest age grade% finishers were Chris RIPPON (VM50-54) 78.66%, Will BACKHOUSE (JM10) 75.56%, and Sarah BOSTWICK (VW40-44) 72.43%.
If you haven’t volunteered for a while, or indeed never volunteered, please give volunteering serious consideration and either message our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wakefieldthornesparkrun/
OR email email@example.com
OR simply rock up to the Stadium Reception in Thornes Park at 8:30am. We’ll be more than happy to provide you with your own Hi Viz heroes cape, well what else did you expect a parkrun super hero to wear!
This week’s 34 priceless, awesome Hi Viz heroes are listed below:-
Julie PEARSON • Clare PECKETT • Sharon SCHOFIELD • Andrew NICHOLLS • Alex MCGRATH • James MCGRATH • Beth GRIPTON • Edward BRIGGS • Emma WICKS • Lisa VERCELLI • Carol MOUNTAIN • Deb NICHOLLS • Deanne WHITEHEAD • Wendy INGHAM • Phil GIBSON • Sophie PEARSON • Grace PEARSON • John WALKER • Sara L JONES • Rebecca MARSDEN • Geraldine MARSDEN • Clare WRIGHT • Tony WRIGHT • Tristan WRIGHT • Imogen WRIGHT • Simon WALKER • Caroline SHELTON • Jessie WHEAT • Libby JAQUES • Charlotte HALL • Philip HALL • Lucy-Jo MOUNTAIN • Lily HARDY • Lena WITTY
#DFYB (DON’T FORGET YOUR BARCODE) we had 27 participants present without a barcode so just a gentle reminder #DFYB.
• Update for Sean Mc (who hopes to join us again next Saturday 1st June) and his 80in8 – Running for Dementia Revolution. Last week Sean completed his 53 of his 80 half marathons in 8 months. Don’t forget you can find the link to his schedule of official events to which he’d be more than happy to see anyone who wants to join him. https://80in8.com/official-events/
• Please remember that he’s running to raise money for an awesome cause so all donations would be gratefully received. To date he’s achieved 62% of his fundraising goal of £5,000. Donation link https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/80in8
• Sarah Powala and her Green Army, fundraising for Wakefield Hospice, also have a donation link - https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.justgiving.com%2Ffundraising%2F10kadim19%3Futm_campaign%3Dlc_frp_share_transaction_fundraiser_page_donation_received_-_nth_donation%26utm_content%3D5d8b7ba0-1275-412d-be9b-555d0f5b2f0b%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dpostoffice%26utm_term%3D1558509637680%26fbclid%3DIwAR17vHLpS7MxtZvI87f4Nbv2tmMs2qNV6gexRSGM5MvO_THBQrLVspj7xVo&h=AT1lBFeIeK9oEW2t4CeaqtbxmmjCSqwL1puXCD1P1e5ggzmwGfUdTmiye5-gjTWhZdGEjO_v_oYygdiKzLXQaqZg-Q3eFAua26pKz2-lMFOdkoq9Apo7kshKTRN1DdnoWaUIeY-1WwtamddTiTCY
• Massive good luck shout went to regular parkrunner Terry Forrest who’s taking part in all the Rock ‘n’ Roll Liverpool distances, including 5k, Half Marathon, Marathon and 1 mile. He’s fundraising for Team Ella, who want to say thank you to all the wonderful Children’s Charities who supported them through a lifesaving heart transplant for their 9 month old son Charlie, to their happy ever after. Donation link – https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/terence-forrest-1
• Notes for your diaries
• 1st April – 30th June – Just a quick reminder that Asda foundation green token giving scheme that currently includes Wakefield Thornes junior parkrun is still in play – so if you shop, or know anyone else who shops at Asda, at Durkar, please grab some green tokens, at the checkout, and post them into the green token slot for the junior parkrun as you leave the store.
• 12th June – Newmillerdam Quacky Trail Race.
o Adult 5k Race – 7:30pm (register 7:00pm) @ car part opposite Fox and Hounds – affiliated runners £6:00 / non-affiliated £8:00. o Junior Fun Run 2k Race – (7-13 years) Children’s Race 6:30pm (register 6:00pm) @ car part opposite Fox and Hounds - £4.00 entry fee.
• 15th June – parkrun cancelled due to Race For Life event.
• Walk at parkrun – date to be arranged later in the summer – we’re certain that many of our lovely running community will be aware of people who don’t come to parkrun because they fear that they have to run and to run well to participate. We want all our running community to start encouraging people to come along to spectate, volunteer, or even walk in the hope that they’ll see what a wonderful supportive community we have and hopefully they’ll then take part and walk in our yet to be named and dated event. Let’s start those conversations folks.
See you all again at our next parkrun event on Saturday, 1st June 2019, for yet another amazing event #232.
Full results for event 231, together with a complete event history can be found on the Wakefield Thornes parkrun Results Page.
The male record is held by Adam PEERS who recorded a time of 15:37 on 12th August 2017 (event number 145).
The female record is held by Jenny BUCK who recorded a time of 18:09 on 21st April 2018 (event number 176).
The Age Grade course record is held by Treena JOHNSON who recorded 93.86% (19:33) on 20th October 2018 (event number 201).
Wakefield Thornes parkrun started on 20th September 2014. Since then
• 7,466 participants have completed • 52,289 parkruns covering a total distance of • 261,445 km, including • 10,192 new Personal Bests. A total of • 611 individuals have volunteered • 5,596 times