The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Walsall Arboretum, The Broadway, Walsall and run on tarmac paths around the Victorian part area of the park. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Walsall Arboretum parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Walsall Arboretum parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course is a 3 lap clockwise loop around the victorian area of the park, passing by the bandstand, lake and visitor centre. The course consists of mainly tarmac paths and is generally flat.
Toilets are available in the visitor centre by centre green and in the children's play area in the arboretum extension.
Location of startThe parkrun start is on the main path next to the rose garden (outside the sons of rest building). This is approximately 5 minutes walk from the grange car park or about 100m from the arboretum road entrance.
Getting there by public transportTrain - Walsall Train Station is on both the Wolverhampton and Birmingham lines. The parkrun start is an approximately 1 mile walk from Walsall train station. Bus - There is a bus stop on Lichfield Street that is serviced by buses from Pelsall Lichfield, Brownhills and Aldridge.
Getting there on footThe Arboretum is in walking distance from Walsall town centre via Lichfield street leading onto the Broadway North A4148 at the main town centre traffic light junction. Alternative entrances to the park can be found at Buchanan Road and Arboretum Road.
Getting there by roadThe park is located on the A4148 Broadway North and is easily accessible from junction 9 and 10 of the M6. Free parking is available at the Grange car park accessible off the Broadway North Road. Alternatively some roadside parking is available alongside the park on the main Broadway North Road A4148. Postcode for GPS: WS1 2QG
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at at the café situated in the new arboretum visitor centre by centre green - please come and join us.