The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in Victoria Park, Widnes. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Widnes parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with one dog by your side, within reach at all times, on a short, handheld, non-extendable lead. Please also see this Support Site entry for further details about parkrunning with dogs.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Widnes parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThis is a three lap run around the outside paths within Victoria Park, Widnes. Starting and finishing at the band stand opposite the café. The route is clockwise round the park. Flat course round the park including the lake. Paths are wide. As the route nears the lake you will turn left going completely round the lake to avoid stairs.
There are toilets and baby changing facilities in Espositos café.
Location of startThe event starts at the band stand opposite the café.
Getting there by public transportAs the train station is near to the park you can take the train. Getting off the train and crossing the road into the park.
For buses please check your local bus company for bus route numbers.
Getting there on footVictoria Park is signposted from the town centre.
Getting there by roadClose to town centre, Victoria Park is opposite Widnes Train Station. There are many ways to arrive at Victoria Park. Victoria Park is signposted within Widnes, however, if you cannot see them, follow signs to train station.
From M62 Junction 6, go through Cronton Village into Widnes on A5080 past Hillcrest Hotel and Cronton College. At the round-a-bout at the Shell Garage, turn right onto Birchfield Road, continuing straight following signs to the train station.
From M62 Junction 7, take the A57 Warrington Road turning right at traffic lights onto Wilmere Lane (B5419). At end of road, turn right onto A5080 and then, at roundabout at the Shell, Garage turn left onto Birchfield Road following signs to train station.
From The Mersey Gateway, follow signs for Widnes Town Centre which should take you underneath the road, through three sets of lights and past a McDonald’s restaurant onto a dual carriageway. At the roundabout, take the 1st left onto Kingsway, past the council offices and follow signs towards the train station. Victoria Park will be on your right. Turn right at Appleton Stores (prior to the park) or continue on past the park and turn right onto Lockett Road.
Once at Victoria Park there is no parking in the park itself or on Birchfield Road near the park. Parking on nearby side streets being careful not to block any driveways.
Parking on Lockett Raod, Fairfield Road, or other side streets available.