The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Witton Country Park, Blackburn. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths, trail paths, gravel paths and stone paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Witton parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Witton parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
Start at the back of the Pavilion Café, follow the path to the bollards, and head up the hill, turn at the top of the path into the woods, varied terrain under foot, follow the path down to the bottom and turn right at the bollards, head back to the Pavilion and then turn right into the college, keep to the right and follow the path as it climbs to the top of the woods, keeping right at all times. Drop down into the sunken garden, taking care of the stones. Again keep right all the way to the bottom of the woods. Turn left and stay on the path in until you end up back at the cross roads. Repeat.
Toilets, Café and car parking.
Location of start
The run starts at the back of the Pavilion Café.
Getting there by public transport
Nearest railway stations are Cherry Tree and Mill Hill, both half a mile away, Blackburn railway station is 2 mile away.
For bus info see the Traveline website
Getting there on foot
Enter Witton park from several entrances, Preston Old Road, Buncer Lane or Tower Road.
Getting there by road
If using SatNav please use BB2 2TP
Witton Country Park is 1 mile from Blackburn town centre, on Preston Old Road (A674) heading towards Preston.
From M6 (North / South) take exit for M65, at junction 3, take the A674/A675 exit to Bolton/Blackburn West.
At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Finnington Lane/A674
There are several Car Parks, however, these get full rather quick, so Tower Road Carparks are advised.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Pavillion - please come and join us!