Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms.
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at The Pitchcroft, Worcester Racecourse, Worcester. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and gravel. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Worcester Pitchcroft parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Worcester Pitchcroft parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionWorcester Pitchcroft parkrun is an almost pancake flat course which takes place predominantly on tarmac paths with the notable exceptions of the start and finish sections.
The course is 5km, 1 3/4 clockwise loops around the outside of Worcester Racecourse, that starts on the wide gravel path near the toilet/changing facilities on the east side of Pitchcroft Park. The route initially heads south towards the Swan Theatre for approximately 500m before a tight right turn across the racecourse. After crossing the hard-standing and racecourse, you turn right again in front of the Grand Stand and then follow the tarmac path all the way around towards the start. (Please keep to the left on your first lap.) The course then retraces the first lap past the Swan Theatre and over to the Grandstand, but as you run along the side of the river you will be directed across the grass to finish at the north end of the racecourse and welcomed by our friendly volunteers.
Please note: The course is liable to occassional flooding. Please check with the parkrun webpages for any cancellations.
Also note that cancellations may occur or alternative courses used due to other events.
Worcester City Council have kindly provided us access to the toilet facilities situated between the Swan Theatre and the Pitchcroft Allotments.
Location of startThe run starts on the wide gravel path adjacent to the toilet/changing facilities on the east side of Pitchcroft Park.
Getting there by public transportTrain: The nearest train station is Worcester Foregate Street (WOF) approximately 20 minutes walk from the start. When leaving the station, immediately turn right onto Foregate Street (with the Odeon cinema on your left) and keep going until you get to a set of traffic lights/pedestrian crossings. At this junction, turn left onto Castle Street. Keep going, past the Police station and past a clock tower right down to the bottom - you will see a gated entrance into The Pitchcroft adjacent to a car park.
Bus: The nearest bus station (approximately 20 minutes walk from the start) is Worcester Bus Station at Crowngate Shopping Centre.
Please see the First Bus website for routes and timetables.
Follow the signs for The Hive ? see below for directions to the start from The Hive.
Getting there on footFrom The Hive: Head north along Croft Road, under the railway bridge towards the Swan Theatre safely crossing the road via the zebra crossing. Then enter Pitchcroft Park via the gates and continue to head north until you see our friendly volunteers.
Getting there by roadIn order to reduce strain on limited city car parking venues, we encourage all participants to travel via foot, bicycle or public transport wherever possible. For those unable to travel via these means the nearest SATNAV postcode is WR1 3EJ; However, nearby city centre car parks are available: The Hive/Cattle Market car park (WR1 3PD), Croft Road car park (WR1 3NZ), Pitchcroft car park (WR1 6EJ) and Moors car park (WR1 3EE). Also be aware that there are residents only parking zones in the vicinity of the venue.
From J7 of the M5 follow the A44 to Worcester ? follow the signs to the city centre.
From the west, follow signs to city centre, crossing over Worcester Bridge follow signs to car parks and Pitchcroft.